An undocumented person who was the victim of a serious crime (typically involving violence) and who reported to, and cooperated with, the police, can apply for a U visa.

This visa would give the person 3 years to live and work in the U.S. legally (the visa holder may apply to extend the visa as well).  At the end of the 3 years, the person is allowed to apply for permanent residence.  This is a very powerful immigration benefit that has helped many undocumented people.  However, the typical wait period is 3 to 4 years.

With the long wait time and the extent of evidence required, one should consult with an experienced immigration attorney in preparing and filing for this visa.   

If you have been the victim of a violent crime and are interested in applying for lawful status, contact our office using the form below:

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.